Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Thunder Thighs


Irlene, Barbara, and Louise Mandrell

This post is for the 30+ crowd. Remember the Mandrell Sisters? They had a hit TV show from 1980-82 called "Barbara Mandrell and the Mandrell Sisters." Barbara and Louise could play dozens of instruments while singing. They were amazing.

Irlene, however, was the joke of the show. She could kind of sing and she played one instrument -- the Triangle (and maybe the drums). I wish I was kidding. Louise and Barbara would be singing and playing the shit out of their instruments, and Irlene would strike the Triangle.

The show lasted only two years. Not because of poor ratings, but because Barbara had "Mariah Carey-level" exhaustion. And needed to take a break.

Their show was a treat! Thanks to Michael Scharber for this shot.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved this show so hard....except for that creepy Jim Henson muppet jug-band that was on every show. I wish they would release it on DVD.

1:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you know Destiny's Child would have totally worn these outfits.

2:40 PM  
Blogger Guys' Guy said...

I used to love this show...my mom and I used to watch it whatever night it was on.

2:49 PM  
Blogger Robbie said...

The puppets were creepy Kroft puppets I think. The same F-ed up people who brought us Puffenstuff and Lidsville.

Creepy.

My fav part was when they would do the skits showing them as children. Even then Erlene was dumb as milk.

9:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Next to the Mormon Show featuring those Osmond drones, this was my favorite show in the 70s/80s variety genre.
ok, not really, because who remembers Dolly's annual Smokey Mountain Christmas specials?

10:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know they are TOTALLY wearing Visa, America's Freedom Fabric(tm)

1:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter